DBUS message formats

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Mon Dec 12 16:13:22 PST 2005

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 15:53 +0100, quintesse at palacio-cristal.com wrote:
>

>>Just curious, because I'm not really sure how dbus is normally used but
>>would it be (theoretically) possible in a future version to exchange the
>>binary protocol that is being used for another? Or is most of that code
>>statically included in some/most applications?
>>

>Once it reaches 1.0? No.  At that point we commit to ABI/API stability.
>In practice it can but really it is all implementation details that are
>not all that important (other than needing to be documented and stable).
>If it becomes important it can be worked into a D-Bus 2.0 release but in
>my opinion it is more important to have a stable platform to develop
>with.

Agreed, like I said just curious.

Especially because I guess most communication will be between
applications on a single system (that is the case right now, isn't it?)
I thought it would be wise to have a system where the lower level
communication protocol implementation could just be exchanged for
another. Protocol compatibility would not be an issue I guess if all
apps use  dynamically loaded dbus libraries but of course if any of it
was statically linked or if dbus is already used for cross-system
communication protocol compatibility suddenly becomes a major issue.

So how many cats did I kill? :-)

Cheers,
 -Tako

NB: I agree with your priorities, I'd rather have a working DBus now
than one based on standards in a year :-)