Qt3 Bindings Backport pre-release

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 19 08:11:45 PST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 16:27, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Is KDE 3.5 using this yet?

No. I started the port about 10 days ago after finding that the current Qt3
bindings are not really capable of doing a lot.

AFAIK there is no further KDE3 release even in question so I doubt any kde.org
projects (i.e. released with KDE as opposed to third party KDE applications)
will use them.

> Also do you plan to maintain these bindings?

Yes, though I will need some input from the Qt4 binding authors un some
uncertainties in their code. Not sure if the Qt4 bindings are actively
maintained at the moment

> I would also like to get the opinion of the other Qt devs on the state
> of these bindings.

Yes, definitely!

My main interest is using them in one of my other projects:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/1692

I consider that other project like some kind of testbed for techologies
suitable for Project Portland, i.e. having non-DE applications access DE
services.

As long as I am the only user, I could maintain the bindings in QDS's
repository.

> Fedora people have been asking for me to add this
> but I am hesitant if it is not going to be maintained and becomes just a
> one off.  It might be nice to just split this out and have a separate
> tarball since I assume when KDE 4 comes out everyone will just switch to
> using the Qt4 bindings.

At least most of the open source / free software world. Not so sure about ISVs
if they have lots of internal code depending on older libraries.

Lets say I am highly motivated until I switch to KDE4, which will be whenever
Debian SID gets those packages, which could be months after KDE4.0 is
released :P

> This would allow me to hand the package off to
> someone who is more KDE knowledgeable around here.
> We are thinking of splitting off all the bindings anyway so they are not
> tied to the D-Bus core release schedule though that has yet to have been
> decided.

Ok.

I am currently working on the D-BUS tutorial section for my bindings, I will
announce a new version including that and some cleanups tomorrow.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>