newbie: tcp transport problem

Junji Kanemaru linux at linuon.com
Tue Feb 8 17:46:15 PST 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Question one is what kind of authentication are you expecting. If you
> can answer that, I can help you implement it.

Basically, I just want to invoke *fast RPC*. That's it. D-BUS is relatively
fast comparing to XMLRPC though its 1.1 version has got incredible
performance improvement in abyss server code.
Also, I want secure transport since what we are going to send out
to network is very sensitive information.
Probably you wouldn't recommend D-BUS such use but I just wanted
to give it a try. Anyways, going back to my original question,
the "tcp:host=xxxx,port=xxxx" doesn't work here, what I'm missing?
The test apps test-thread-server and test-thread-client won't work
over network? Or do I need some tweaking to make them work?

> That message happens when you build with --enable-tests and don't set
> DBUS_TEST_HOMEDIR in the environment. Since you normally wouldn't expect
> "make check" to mess around in your homedir.
> To eliminate the message just do a production build (--disable-tests -
> should be the default if you're building from tarball)

Thank you for the info.

-- Junji