newbie: tcp transport problem

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 8 16:55:35 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 08:19 +0900, Junji Kanemaru wrote:
> Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > The simplest one to add would be a public "allow everyone" mechanism, if
> > you are behind a firewall perhaps.
>
> Actually there's no firewall setting between the two hosts.
> The test program I'm using is test/glib/test-thread-server.c with
> argv[1] = "tcp:host=192.168.0.1,port=9090".
> This works fine both client and server are on same host...

The reason it works is that both client and server share the same user
home directory. This allows the magic cookie auth mechanism (look in
~/.dbus-keyrings) to work. When you have two different homedirs on two
hosts, then none of the auth mechanisms can succeed.

Question one is what kind of authentication are you expecting. If you
can answer that, I can help you implement it.

> I guess the error message "Using your real home directory for testing,
> set DBUS_TEST_HOMEDIR to avoid" is saying that D-BUS created
> a unix domain socket in user's home dir and trying to talk through it?

That message happens when you build with --enable-tests and don't set
DBUS_TEST_HOMEDIR in the environment. Since you normally wouldn't expect
"make check" to mess around in your homedir.
To eliminate the message just do a production build (--disable-tests -
should be the default if you're building from tarball)