kobject <-> dbus connection

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sat Feb 12 21:54:56 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:52 +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>Since I was playing with recently I figured it would be interesting
>to write a little test tool that sends the recently introduces (Linux
>2.6.10 I think) kobject events to a D-BUS system channe.
>
>I just finished the first version of a tool to do this, available at
>http://www.wiggy.net/files/kbus-0.1.tar.gz .

Please see the HAL archives why we don't want this anymore. uevents do
not belong on the bus, they are pretty useless without the context of
the sysfs device they belong to. They are expected to be received by HAL
and HAL will send out sane events in the right context if it makes
sense.

>I did run into a problem with sending the kobject event environment
>via D-BUS

Please don't interpret the environment of the uevents. It is a special
case of the hotplug uevents. No other uevents can have these values and
hotplug uevents should only used by udev which will send out new events
at the right time and in the right context with the name of the created
device node.

Thanks,
Kay