Java bindings for dbus

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 11:12:46 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 13:36 -0500, Jeff Morgan wrote:
> The Java-GNOME team has decided to add dbus bindings to our growing
> collection of Java bindings.  We would like to get started on this effort
> as soon as possible.  We do have a couple of questions and would like
> to seek your guidance in order to get started.  The first question is "What
> logistics would be necessary in order to utilize the dbus cvs and freedesktop
> bugzilla?" (assuming this is the correct approach).

You need CVS accounts. I think the procedure is to mail
sitewranglers at freedesktop.org your public ssh key, but I've had better
luck with going on freenode #freedesktop and pestering people.

It's up to you whether you want to maintain the bindings with dbus or
with your other bindings. There are arguments both ways. I really think
it's your decision.

Longer term you could also think about doing a pure Java dbus client
implementation; I think this would only be a few thousand lines of Java
at most, but I could be wrong. Once we go 1.0 you could do this without
having to stay in sync with changes to the protocol.

>  The second
> question is "Have
> others thought about / started Java bindings for dbus?".  I have seen
> the single
> class that exists in cvs but was wondering if there is another effort
> underway at
> the present time.

Not that I know of. I don't think what's in CVS is anything close to
useful.