code generator in makefiles

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Feb 19 14:42:17 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 17:06 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 16:13 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>>
>> I had a quicky try at this, but I don't think it's really worth it in
>> the end.  The problem is that you still need to use the BUILT_SOURCES
>> variable to tell Automake what files you're generating, and worse you
>> still need individual targets specified in the Makefile.am in general I
>> think.  So you just don't save much.  Unless I did something wrong here.
>
>I can understand BUILT_SOURCES and targets, the stampfile and
>intermediate file fiasco is what I can't figure out:

This code looks in large part to me like it was trying to work around an
Automake without BUILT_SOURCES.  I'm pretty sure the existing code in
test/glib/Makefile.am is correct, and it's certainly much shorter than
the code you posted.

As for the intermediate file - well, if an error occurs during
compilation you don't want to have a new half-written target file with a
timestamp newer than the source, it will cause compilation to fail until
you delete it manually.  My patch moves the logic for create tempfile
+rename into the tool itself.