(support) Verification of correct dbus operation.

fuxxy@coldfire.myftp.org fuxxy@coldfire.myftp.org
Mon Jan 3 20:56:21 PST 2005

Hello everyone, I'm trying to use ivman to automatically mount removable
media on insertion.

The dependencies for hal include the following(and currently installed
version) 'UDEV'(045-gentoo), 'dbus'(0.22-CVS-Jan. 2nd, 2004),
'hal'(0.2-CVS-Jan. 2nd 2004, and of course 'ivman'(0.4-rc2-gentoo).

I cannot get the installation to work via the numerous HOWTO's and CVS
guides I've followed, so here I am.

I'm mainly looking for a way to test the dbus messaging system, to make
sure it's working correctly, and once that is verified, I will look to
the HAL mailing list to verify operation and communication with dbus.

Keep in mind, guys, that this is a headless system, and has no GUI,
short of bash.

The only things I've done so far is monitor the dbus system with
'dbus-monitor --system', and eject, and reinsert the CD-Rom drive, which
did not show anything after initial startup of dbus-monitor.

I've also monitored the dbus system with 'dbus-monitor --system' and
sent a test message via 'dbus-send' which DID transmit across the
system, however I'm not sure if I specified the correct resource 'name'

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as will any suggestions for
alternate debugging.(tips, order, etc.)