Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc@blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 08:32:40 PST 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> You don't understand. The proposal to query 'what interfaces a service
> implements' doesn't make sense because apps don't implement interfaces;
> object instances do.
>
> That's why we have a method Introspect() that returns the interfaces
> *for an object instance*
>
> But you can't activate a service based on this because it doesn't make
> any sense to ask which apps implement an interface. That's like saying,
> which apps implement java.lang.Cloneable. It's just not useful
> information.
>
> We could ask which apps could own the name org.freedesktop.TextEditor,
> for example. That is useful information.

Thanks for clearing that up - That is exactly what I meant! (it wasn't
clear that there is an inheritance model here with org.gnome.gedit
inheriting from org.freedesktop.TextEditor)

So we will just need an extra function to get a list of descendent
services from an ancestor service name?

jamie.