Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Sat Jan 15 10:06:46 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 16:32 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Thanks for clearing that up - That is exactly what I meant! (it wasn't
> clear that there is an inheritance model here with org.gnome.gedit
> inheriting from org.freedesktop.TextEditor)
>
> So we will just need an extra function to get a list of descendent
> services from an ancestor service name?

There isn't an inheritance model, just multiple names for the same app.

You don't need to know that gedit "is a" text editor, you just need to
know that a text editor is running (or that you can activate one).

It's broken for an app to do something like list available TextEditor
and then pick one using its own algorithm. When activating TextEditor,
you want the same one to start no matter who starts it. The user or
admin would set which one this is.