Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc@blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 11:02:24 PST 2005

Ikke wrote:
> Wrote up a simple XML document describing an app.
>
> This is just a sample, got some issues left (the "name" property -> not
> conformant with other object properties, etc) but well.
>
> I did not write an XSD schema or some XSLT things, that's for later when
> the final schema is made.
>
> Please review and let me know what you think :-)
>

> Regards,
>
> Ikke
> http://www.eikke.com

  A few things:

Interfaces:

  <Interface>org.freedesktop.DIS.MusicPlayer</Interface>

This would be better as :
<Interfaces>
<Interface name="org.freedesktop.MusicPlayerInterface">Interface
Description here </Interface>
</Interfaces>

Bear in mind a service can have multiple interfaces and I believe
interfaces should be in A.B.C format (not A.B.C.D).

Events:

  <Event name="NewTrackStarted">

I am used to events having the word "On" prefixed to them so as to
distinguish them from methods so it would be nice if it where:

<Event name="OnNewTrackStarted">

Also you have a method called "OnTurntable" could you not replace that
with "GetCurrentTrackURI" (I would also think you would need
SetCurrentTrackURI instead of PlaybackURI too - its a good idea to use
Get/Set methods where relevant as these would then translate nicely into
GObject properties and in this case CurrentTrackURI would be such a
read/write property)

jamie.