Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
Tue Jan 18 12:39:38 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 19:02 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> Bear in mind a service can have multiple interfaces and I believe
> interfaces should be in A.B.C format (not A.B.C.D).

No, they can be any number of elements. I updated the spec now so it
accurately describes the format of various things.

> I am used to events having the word "On" prefixed to them so as to
> distinguish them from methods so it would be nice if it where:
>
> <Event name="OnNewTrackStarted">

Not the D-BUS convention.

I still think this is all pointless unless you're working with the
author of a media player (or whatever app you are defining) so you have
a concrete application in mind, when we introduced CORBA in GNOME there
was a flurry of defining "theoretical" interfaces and it turned out to
be really pointless.