Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc@blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 07:16:39 PST 2005

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> Services are just for routing.  Objects and interfaces should be used
> for identifying what piece of code should be run.  Try not to use
> multiple services in an application unless you can come up with a really
> good reason.  We also use services to track life-cycles of an
> application so if a service goes down we can assume the application has
> been closed.  Things get confusing if you have multiple services.

I totally agree with you but as we cant activate a non-running service
by what interfaces it supports we have to blur the lines between
services and interfaces a bit in those instances otherwise we wouldn't
be able to say "activate a freedesktop compliant text editor".

jamie.