Proposal and RFC: DAL, the Desktop Abstraction Layer

John (J5) Palmieri johnp@redhat.com
Wed Jan 19 07:50:35 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 15:16 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>

> > Services are just for routing.  Objects and interfaces should be used
> > for identifying what piece of code should be run.  Try not to use
> > multiple services in an application unless you can come up with a really
> > good reason.  We also use services to track life-cycles of an
> > application so if a service goes down we can assume the application has
> > been closed.  Things get confusing if you have multiple services.
> >

> I totally agree with you but as we cant activate a non-running service
> by what interfaces it supports we have to blur the lines between
> services and interfaces a bit in those instances otherwise we wouldn't
> be able to say "activate a freedesktop compliant text editor".

You should get a list of all services that export a particular interface
and then activate the service you want.  We should fix D-Bus if it
doesn't do what we want or create another daemon that keeps track of
these things.  A spec which aims to be a standard should not try and
workaround deficiencies.

--
John (J5) Palmieri
Associate Software Engineer