D-BUS for Network RPC

Olivier Andrieu oliv__a@users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 19 12:05:49 PST 2005

 > "Stephen J. Scheck" [Wed, 19 Jan 2005]:
 > Actually, while we're on the topic, how does D-BUS handle "object"
 > persistence? Since the spec mentions that connections are meant to
 > be held open, I just assumed that I wouldn't run into the HTTP
 > issue.

Actually there are no objects in D-BUS only object paths, which are
little more than an implicit argument to method calls, a string with a
path syntax ('/' separators). Method handlers are registered for a
path or subpath.

The connection is held open but that's just your connection to the
bus. Depending on the implementation of the bindings (between DBUS and
you language), two method calls to a remote "object" could end up
being routed to two different apps : it depends on wether the bindings
use the 'base service' (the unique identifier for a connection to the
bus) or an acquired service name whose owner can change over time
(depending on the options used when the service name was acquired).

--
   Olivier