how to run 2 different dbus versions?

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 22:47:45 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 13:28 +0200, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> In this I mean:
>
> Is it possible to have 0.34 running so apps using this won't break.
> But also have 0.35.2 so I can experiment with the new api?
>
> How do you guys setup your boxes to do development and still have a
> usable system?

Simple I break everything that way it gets fixed ;-)

0.34 -> 0.35.2 won't break any core apps.  Only those using the GLib
bindings (apart from the mainloop) and some Python apps.  Of course
there is a complicated set of procedures you can do to test your own
apps with a new version of the bus that I need to sit down and write at
some point.  It really only works well if you are testing on a session
bus.  It involves compiling dbus to a different prefix, using that
dbus-launch to launch a terminal with a session bus attached and then
running from there.  xterm works best for this since enviorment
variables are kept when you launch an xterm from another xterm.

i.e.

dbus-launch xterm

xterm prompt>xterm &

This way they both get the address to the bus and you can run a client
and server in each term window.

At some point when I have time I will write up a real debugging guide
with all this info.