how to run 2 different dbus versions?

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 01:23:56 EST 2005

On 7/20/05, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 13:28 +0200, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> > In this I mean:
> >
> > Is it possible to have 0.34 running so apps using this won't break.
> > But also have 0.35.2 so I can experiment with the new api?
> >
> > How do you guys setup your boxes to do development and still have a
> > usable system?

How do you run 0.34 on a desktop and not break apps?-) I tought most
apps were still in the 0.2x API... Or did you mean 0.24?

[...]
> i.e.
>
> dbus-launch xterm
>
> xterm prompt>xterm &
>
> This way they both get the address to the bus and you can run a client
> and server in each term window.

I have script like this:

--8<--- dbus-terminals.sh

#!/bin/bash

export PATH=/opt/sandbox/bin:$PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/sandbox/lib/pkgconfig
export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=`dbus-daemon --session --print-address --fork`

xterm -fa monospace -fs 10 -bg white -fg black &
xterm -fa monospace -fs 10 -bg white -fg black &

---8>---

which I use to launch few xterms to my dev environment (prefix) to
which I have compiled developemental stuff to.

Seems to work ok, though `dbus-launch --sh-syntax` probably would be better.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi