Problems with empty Arrays and Dicts in untyped languages

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 06:41:53 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 22:36 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> eOn Wed, 27.07.05 16:10, John (J5) Palmieri (johnp at redhat.com) wrote:
>

> > Hmm, ok so it seems like it would be a pita for other languages.  Havoc
> > suggests I just get off my lazy ass and implement Introspection ;-)   I
> > tend to agree.  If DBUS_TYPE_ARRAY_EMPTY is not dead simple to implement
> > everywhere I don't think we should do it. Will spend my time
> > implementing introspection and adding explcit type casting for arrays
> > and dicts.
>
> Does this mean that passing empty arrays from python will work only
> when the server side provides introspection information?
>
> I cannot say I like this as my server currently does not provide this info.

It is easy to support and is part of the spec.  You should support it.
It is a simple as replying to the Introspect method with properly
formatted XML data.  Bindings should give it to you for free in theory
(python and glib do).  But no, I will provide a fallback which I hate
for people to have to use but thems the breaks of untyped languages
living in a DBus typed world.