Cross posting as I am not sure what is going on between dbus and networkmanager

Steev steev at steev.net
Sun Jul 31 19:34:48 EST 2005

I recently updated dbus and network manager (using CVS snapshots of both
- - I know, possibly a bad idea)

NetworkManager starts fine, however, when i run /usr/libexec/nm-applet,
I get the following output.

** (nm-applet:15138): WARNING **: <WARNING>       (): nmwa_dbus_init()
could not acquire its service.  dbus_bus_acquire_service() says:
'Connection ":1.16" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
configuration file'

The configuration file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/nm-applet.conf has

<!DOCTYPE busconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD D-BUS Bus Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/dbus/1.0/busconfig.dtd">
<busconfig>
        <policy user="root">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <allow
send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
        </policy>
        <policy at_console="true">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <allow
send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
        </policy>
        <policy context="default">
                <deny own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

                <deny
send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
                <deny send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>
        </policy>
</busconfig>

I have pam_console setup, and I compiled dbus with
- --with-console-auth-dir=/var/run/console

I am logged in, dbus session is running, and I checked /var/run/console,
there are 2 files in there, console.lock and steev, steev contains "1"
and console.lock contains "steev"

Aside from the fact that it is cvs code, does anyone have any idea what
I might have done wrong? :)  Sorry if this bothers anyone because of
cross posting, I just don't know if the problem is dbus, or NM.

Thanks!