[patch] connection_open/connection_disconnect lacks symmetry (TODO Item)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 09:57:46 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 11:46 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> I don't like this any more than the next guy but I think what we all
> need to realize is that at this point, doing changes to API/ABI means
> fucking a lot of people and projects (just remember the painful 0.23 to
> 0.30 transition we had to go through). That's why we need to carefully
> manage this process.

Absolutely.

> Do you think that doc/TODO is by any means complete? E.g. if these items
> were done can we lock down the protocol and libdbus.so? I'm asking you
> since you're probably the only one who really knows :-).

It is complete to my knowledge. The two major unknowns that could affect
it are the GLib bindings and the KDE integration.

I guess Colin can comment on whether we are good for the GLib bindings.
I think KDE integration is a big unknown at this point.

The one issue I'm almost sure KDE will raise is performance, since my
optimization work got lost. But this should not break ABI to fix, in
theory.

Other than that, the 1.0 list is open for comment. If people think there
are glaring unresolved issues, or think some of the stuff on the 1.0
list isn't really important, then let's shuffle.