Sending messages to ones self

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 13:41:01 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 15:24 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> This currently only works if you send an async message.  If you block in
> the same thread you are screwed and your program deadlocks.  How do we
> handle this?  Do we worry about it for 1.0 or try to detect that the
> message is being routed to ones self and throw an error?

Whenever you block waiting for yourself (directly, or through a chain of
calls) you will deadlock, of course. That's not a bug.

The TODO item is to define what happens if (assuming async) you send to
yourself. I think "it should work" is right and so the main TODO item is
to be sure it's in the test suite.