Problem getting DBus service list

Ricky Hussmann rhussman at mix.wvu.edu
Tue Jun 21 08:49:06 PDT 2005

I'm trying to use the DBus Skype API to do some work with Skype.
However, the system bus won't respond to the get_service method. Here's
the code and the output:

import dbus, sys

remote_bus = dbus.SystemBus()
system_service_list =
remote_bus.get_service('org.freedesktop.DBus').get_object('/org/
freedesktop/DBus', 'org.freedesktop.DBus').ListServices()

However, every time I run this code I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "testSkype.py", line 6, in ?
     system_service_list =
remote_bus.get_service('org.freedesktop.DBus').get_object('/org/
freedesktop/DBus', 'org.freedesktop.DBus').ListServices()
AttributeError: SystemBus instance has no attribute 'get_service'

I'm using Fedora Core 4. I've tried this on another server I have
access to running Fedora Core 3, and it makes it well past this
section. Does FC4 run a newer version of DBus with a different API? If
so, is the API documented anywhere?

Ricky Hussmann
Associate Engineering Scientist
West Virginia Virtual Environments Lab