GObject signals remotely

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Fri May 20 10:37:00 PDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 10:07 +0300, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm implementing stuff in GObjects and exporting them to use over DBus.
>
> Cool.  Are you using 0.33?  Latest CVS?  Or CVS + my latest patch?

Yes on the three first and no on last one. I was going to use the
release version, but since I now (in desperation) installed the CVS
version, I think I'll put the patch in too.

> > Are the signals supposed to work yet or are the above comments just
> > ahead of time?
>
> The client side of signals should work...there's a test in
> test/glib/test-dbus-glib.c, however I want to change the API soon to
> remove the D-BUS types.
>
> However as you've discovered, it looks like the server side is not
> implemented.  I hadn't noticed that before now, I've been mainly working
> on method invocations.

So I was right. I was hoping I was wrong :)

> > P.S. For now I connected a local handler for the signal and emitted
> > the dbus-signal there.
>
> Yeah.  Until we fix the bindings this is the workaround.

Fortunately it's not too annoying to implement.

On a related note, what is the current web poll result on the new API
stability estimates? I know it won't be really stable until 1.0, but
what I'd like to know that is there any radical changes to look
forward to in the spirit of .2x => .3x?
(I'd like to know to determine how strongly I should advocate the new
API at work if I get the chance ;)

<shameless plug>
Oh, and in case you are wondering, stuff I am implementing is a dbus
interface to irssi2
(http://main.irssi.org/projects/irssi2.html). Coool stuff from the
author of irssi (surprise, surprise :). Timo will most likely welcome
any help given, the project is still pretty new.
</shameless plug>

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi