Request name question

Andre Magalhaes andrunko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 04:52:30 PST 2005

Hi,

On 11/24/05, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 12:00 -0200, Claudio Takahasi wrote:
> >
> > I read the function dbus_bus_request_name description but I was not
> > able to figure out how should I use it to support the functionality
> > that I want. Can more than one app own the same service?
>
> No, though the daemon does track every app that would like to own the
> same service in a queue. I've thought in the past about having services
> that worked as "broadcast addresses" (every app in the queue gets the
> message) but afaik you could always just use signals instead.
>
> If you describe your use-case in more detail we might have a
> recommendation for how to implement it.
I will try to describe our problem. We have a daemon that accepts
multiple connections either for the same client or from different
clients. So when the client subscribe to the daemon, the daemon must
be able to send messages directly to that client.
Eg.:
Client1 subscribes to daemon with id=c1
Client1 subscribes to daemon with id=c2
Client2 subscribes to daemon with id=c3

So (in our current impl) when the daemon wants to communicate with
client1 it should use the services org.maemo.Tapioca.Client.c1 and
org.maemo.Tapioca.Client.c2 and to communicate with client2 the
service org.maemo.Tapioca.Client.c3 and so on. We would like to have
something like a fixed service for all clients (eg.:
org.maemo.Tapioca.Client) and change just the object path. This works
very well with one client, but does not work with different clients.

Don't know if i explained well, but this is basically what we need/want.
BR
Andrunko