ANNOUNCE: D-Bus 0.50 - "You run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it’s sinking" is released

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 17:26:31 PDT 2005

D-Bus version 0.50, "You run and you run to catch up with the sun, but
it’s sinking", has been released. This is a minor release from 0.36.2.
The series number has changed not because of any technical reasons but
as an indication that we are moving closer to 1.0. It is hoped that this
will be the last series to see major changes, most of which will be
isolated to the GLib and Python bindings, as we transition to
concentrate more on bug busting and code auditing.

What does this mean to developers?

If you want a feature in now is the time to send that patch or discuss
it with a D-Bus developer.

If you patch has been submitted to bugzilla
(http://bugs.freedesktop.org) but has not been applied yet, now is the
time to check to make sure you followed up on any comments.
Freedesktop.org went through a hard drive meltdown some weeks ago and
while going through bugzilla trying to clean it out I noticed that a
number of patches and CC:'s were lost.  I placed a fair number of bugs
in the NEEDINFO state.  Please follow up.

After the 0.5x stage I hope to get to the 0.9x stage and do release
candidates (I'm not saying how long it is going to take to get there
just yet).  At this point no new functionality will be accepted.

What does this mean for packagers?

Nothing really, 0.50 is a minor bugfix release for the most part.  There
are some nasty bugs plugged in the python bindings so you might want to
upgrade for that or just grab the patches from CVS.

Why 0.50 instead of 0.40?

We are moving exponentially here to heighten your state of urgency.
What makes good drama?  Conflict and urgency!

0.50 is 1/2 of 1.0 which means we are halfway home and can see the goal.
Time to pick up the pace.

For some reason I can't remember I started versioning the Python
libraries at (0,40,0).  This is an attempt to coverup^H^H^H^H^H^H^H,
uhhh..., sync the python bindings and libdbus versions.

As usual:

http://dbus.freedesktop.org/releases/dbus-0.50.tar.gz