Re: ANNOUNCE: D-Bus 0.50 - "You run and you run to catch up with the sun, but � sinking" is released

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 02:45:58 PDT 2005

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> If you want a feature in now is the time to send that patch or discuss
> it with a D-Bus developer.

yes I have some requests for the glib bindings but some of them would
break the exisitng bindings so I'm not expecting them to be implemented.

But theres no harm in asking, so :

1) The Glib bindings currently uses GValue for DBUS_TYPE_VARIANT whilst
a better mapping might be GValueArray. The Gvalue mapping can be
problematic when the variant holds a struct as there is no way to access
individual struct members from a GValue (this is particularily a problem
in cases where the struct could contain anything) and also when passing
a G_BOXED_TYPE as an input variant parameter (how can the variant derive
the correct signature from a Gvalue holding a struct?).

2) I need support for DBUS DICTs of signature a{sv} which need to map to
a GHashTable containing (string, GValueArray)

I can of course do all the above by manually recursing the variant/dict
and mapping variants manually to GValueArrays, so not supporting the
above wont be a shostopper but it would be nice to not leak the low
level dbus calls in apps if possible.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/