Array-Size

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 07:31:59 PDT 2006

staneker at gris.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

> uh. is there an important reason, why dbus copies the data?

The current API requires it. The main reason as you and Thiago note is
that the API is asynchronous.

> I am not sure, that transfering a lot of data is in the
> scope of dbus

Well, it 'sort of' is - meaning, it should work. But if "transfer lots
of data quickly" is your main priority, dbus isn't really the ideal or
optimized IPC solution for that. Using dbus for large data would make
sense more if you're using dbus anyway, and have some large data among
your smaller calls, and it's not speed-critical.

You could always create an "out of band" large data transfer mechanism
such as shared memory or a dedicated socket or a pipe, and use small
dbus calls to coordinate it.