Information request

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Wed Apr 12 05:14:28 PDT 2006

Ikke wrote:
>Hija,
>
>I got some questions related to DBus' capabilities. I'm not completely
>new to DBus, but still got some trouble to understand everything about
>the service/object/interface infrastructure etc, so I got some minor
>questions:
>Let's pretend we got these objects:
>AppName | Service      | Object path   | Interface
>A       | com.foo.Bar  | /com/foo/BarA | org.foo.SomeIface
>B       | com.doe.Baz  | /com/doe/BazC | org.foo.SomeIface
>
>Now I got an application C, that wants to "use" these services/objects.
>A, B and C are attached to the session bus.
>
>If I understand correctly, C could send out a signal "SampleSignal" on
>interface "com.c.MySignals", and both A and B can receive this signal if
>they set up a correct filter. Correct?

That is correct.

>Is it possible for C to do a method call to method "i SomeMethod(i,s)"
>to all objects implementing the "org.foo.SomeIface" interface, and
>getting replies from all these objects?

Not automatically.

It could do a bus-search and find all objects in all services that
implement that interface, but not only would that be inefficient, it is
also not atomic (services could connect and disconnect at any time).

Also note that not all applications provide introspection support.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway