[patch] Remove --enable-maintainer-mode from autogen.sh

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Apr 24 15:37:49 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 08:16 am, Robert McQueen wrote:
> Brad Hards wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 April 2006 01:49 am, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> >> In fact looking at gtk+ and gnome-autogen.sh it looks like
> >> --enable-maintainer-mode is always the default.
> >
> > Does --enable-maintainer-mode have security implications for Gnome code?
> >
> > If you are adamant about keeping --enable-maintainer-mode, then how about
> > this as an (undesirable, but at least truthfull) documentation only fix:
>
> Isn't this a little gratuitous? At the completion of configuring, you
> already get warnings like this:
>
>   NOTE: building with unit tests increases the size of the installed
>   library and renders it insecure.
The relationship between those lines and running ./autogen.sh (with no
options) isn't all that clear.

> These warnings already exist and are more likely to remain visible on
> the screen after confoguration has completed. End users aren't generally
> expected to compile from CVS unless they know what they are doing and
> are at least able to read, so autogen should behave as the developers
> require, and including unit tests and asserts is the right thing for
> when you run from autogen.sh, as is having maintainer mode enabled.
I disagree. Do you want application developers to use the current version of
dbus or not? I think that you do (and the README agrees), and the least we
can do is fair disclosure. Ideally the build process would optimise for
application developers (not for dbus developers), which is why I think that
the --enable-maintainer-mode line should come out as a default.

Brad