[patch] Remove --enable-maintainer-mode from autogen.sh

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Apr 24 21:38:42 PDT 2006

Hi,

Brad Hards wrote:
> When you run autogen.sh, it says:
> I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
> to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
>
> But that isn't true. In fact, it passes --enable-maintainer-mode which turns
> on a range of options, including some with security implications (granted,
> configure tells you that, but it disappears if you ./autogen.sh && make).
>
> I think it should come out.  Please apply this patch.

I do think autogen.sh is a "cvs only" thing - the normal approach to
shipping a cvs snap in production would be to "make distcheck" yourself
to get a tarball, with a pregenerated configure, which should have the
right production defaults. (If not that's the problem.) A production
package that doesn't come from a "make distcheck" tarball would be a bad
thing.

Having the default from cvs build unit tests and other developer options
is certainly convenient, and the way a lot of other packages work.

More useful than warning in autogen.sh perhaps would be a log message
when the daemon starts up. Then if someone did a bad build, they'd have
repeated chances to be reminded about it.