[patch] Remove --enable-maintainer-mode from autogen.sh

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 17:39:18 PDT 2006

Brad Hards wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 09:52 am, Robert McQueen wrote:
>>> I still disagree. Not least because the Qt support I need isn't present
>>> in the last available snapshot (over two months old).
>> Thiago hasn't made any indications to us that he wants it in a release
>> yet, and nothing else has come up that was pressing for a release to be
>> made.
> This is inconsistent with your earlier argument, where you said that normal
> users should use snapshot tarballs, and that CVS is only for dbus developers.

No, it's not inconsistent. I've not told anybody to use CVS, I just said
that Thiago hasn't made any indication to the D-Bus community (ie this
list) that he considers the Qt stuff ready to put into a developer
snapshot at the moment, so it's just in CVS. I consider the stuff in CVS
to be moderately unavailable to people who aren't interested in D-Bus
development, and would encourage Thiago to raise the topic of a release
when he wants wider exposure for his Qt work.

>>> Hmm, how about a patch that says check the login name, and if it isn't a
>>> recognised committer to dbus CVS, refuses to run :-?
>> Sounds like complete insanity to me. You can develop dbus without being
> Humour failure alert.

Coming from a Debian background, I've actually seen upstreams do stuff
like this to hide misbehaviour from the Debian package maintainer that
he had a disagreement with. One never can be too certain. :)

>> a CVS committer, and if you're a user who is savvy enough to know you
>> want something new from CVS, and to check it out and build it, I'd
>> expect you to be able to read the messages from configure about the
>> selected configuration options.
> All I want is working Qt bindings. What I get is warnings about slow and
> insecure - which correspond to options I haven't asked for and don't want.

I don't think we want to go in a direction of encouraging people to use
CVS D-Bus if they don't understand what's going on. At this stage in
proceedings, replacing your system D-Bus with one from CVS can just
break things (it especially does on any recent Ubuntu system because of
divergence of at_console policy implementations). Doing a release with
the Qt stuff would be the right solution, or even pressing on with our
plan to split the bindings off to seperately released packages so that
Thiago can make his own call about releases.

> Brad

Regards,
Rob