How does a home user fix a broken DBUS ?

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 08:08:20 PST 2006

(no comments on the documentation part, didn't find any with light googling)

2006/12/26, Rod Butcher <rbutcher at hyenainternet.com>:
> Example of errors : "Failed to connect to socket
> /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused"

Sounds like the _system_ dbus-daemon is not running. The GNOME session
usually takes care of the session bus, but the system bus (used to
talk to the system services that have D-Bus interfaces) is run by the
systems initscripts and the procedure to do that is highly
system-dependant. I'm not 100% but I think normal users can't even
launch the system bus (or at least are not meant to run it directly).

> I'm not trying to blame DBUS or Gnome.

In the case of GNOME, if some program refuses to work at all without
the bus (without a very good reason), you might want to file a bug in
the GNOME bugzilla (at http://bugzilla.gnome.org). At least in my
opinion it should be non-fatal to not have a working D-Bus in most
cases.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi