How does a home user fix a broken DBUS ?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Dec 26 06:11:06 PST 2006

Rod Butcher wrote:
>Greetings from sunny Sydney. I've been using Linux for a few years at
>home and got used to upgrading to a new release of Gnome and KDE by
>compiling all the sources. Never had a problem.
>Since Gnome started using DBUS I've had lots of problems - a lot of the
>functionality now reliant on DBUS is now broken on my box. I have
>installed DBUS and it's running.
>Example of errors : "Failed to connect to socket
>/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused"

This one looks like your system bus isn't running. To start it:

/etc/init.d/messagebus start

>I'm not trying to blame DBUS or Gnome. But what I'm trying to find is an
>"Idiot's guide to DBUS" and how the home user can help himself when he
>breaks DBUS (i.e. what needs to exist where for apps to hang together).
>I've looked at the DBUS doco on freedesktop.org but it's over my head.
>Is there such "amateur sysadmin" documentation ? Because it seems to me
>that with so many programs now using DBUS, if it breaks the desktop is
>broken.

We're pretty much fixing it as it goes. I don't know of any amateur
sysadmin documentation. Most installations simply work out-of-the-box
because there's little to nothing to be configured.

If you have problems, simply tell us what it is and we'll help you solve
them. If you want to help the community, log your problems into a FAQ and
we'll put it on the D-Bus website.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358