How does a home user fix a broken DBUS ?

Rod Butcher rbutcher at hyenainternet.com
Tue Dec 26 13:39:02 PST 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Rod Butcher wrote:
>> Greetings from sunny Sydney. I've been using Linux for a few years at
>> home and got used to upgrading to a new release of Gnome and KDE by
>> compiling all the sources. Never had a problem.
>> Since Gnome started using DBUS I've had lots of problems - a lot of the
>> functionality now reliant on DBUS is now broken on my box. I have
>> installed DBUS and it's running.
>> Example of errors : "Failed to connect to socket
>> /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused"
>
> This one looks like your system bus isn't running. To start it:
>
> /etc/init.d/messagebus start
OK I started it. Now I get :
Liboobs-CRITICAL **: There was an unknown error communicating with the
backends: The name org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends was not provided
by any .service files
aborting...
I have system tools backends installed. What is the above message
telling me about it ?
thanks for your patience
Rod