Announcing new version of the Qt4 bindings

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 13 11:01:51 PST 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 19:27, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> This sounds fine with me.  One of the things we were discussing was
> splitting out all the bindings for 1.0 and creating a testing suite
> which pull the bindings, compile them and then test them against each
> other.  We need to discuss the best way to house the sanctioned bindings
> (do they all have to be at freedesktop.org? do we have coordinated
> releases? etc.)  It would be good to hear your thoughts on how it should
> work.  Ultimately we want to put on one public face for all the
> officially maintained bindings but what that means is up in the air.

My opinion is that it would be beneficial if all bindings where hosted at the
same site, so binding developers can easily keep track of each others
progress, check interoperability and work together on shared resources, for
example overview documentation like the tutorial.

As for releases I would prefer if bindings could be released separately as the
API they are binding to might introduce changes that need to be taken care of
sooner than the next shared release.

However, since providing a single public face is a very good idea, I'd
recommend some kind of tagging for all-in-one releases.

For example if you, as the maintainer of the dbus base module, wants to
schedule the 1.0 release for end or march, you would set a freeze date for
example two weeks before that. Than every bindings maintainer has for example
one additional week, i.e. still one week before the dbus release, to tag that
version of his bindings he wants to have packaged with the main library..

The packagers then checkout that tag over all bindings.

Just my ideas, comments welcome :)

Cheers,
Kevin
Qt3 bindings maintainer