KDE adoption of D-Bus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Feb 16 06:53:57 PST 2006

On Thu, 16.02.06 14:41, Thiago Macieira (thiago.macieira at trolltech.com) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >The DBUS client libs would need to look if $DISPLAY is set. If it is
> >they should look for the BUS address on the root window of that
> >display.
>
> The difficult part would be to do that without requiring libdbus to link
> to libX11. Which is why a file makes more sense to me.

I people really dislike that libdbus would have a hard dependency on
libX11 a solution using dlopen() on libX11 should be simple
enough. The library name and the API of libX11 is pretty stable. The
symbols that would need to be imported are:

XOpenDisplay()
XCloseDisplay()
XInternAtom()
XGetWindowProperty()
XFree()

for modifying the data you'd need XChangeProperty() and XDeleteProperty().

If this has a realistic chance to be merged, I would be willing to
contribute a patch that uses dlopen() to access the X11 display.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/