KDE adoption of D-Bus

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Thu Feb 16 07:41:10 PST 2006

Lennart Poettering wrote:
>I people really dislike that libdbus would have a hard dependency on
>libX11 a solution using dlopen() on libX11 should be simple
>enough. The library name and the API of libX11 is pretty stable. The
>symbols that would need to be imported are:
>
>XOpenDisplay()
>XCloseDisplay()
>XInternAtom()
>XGetWindowProperty()
>XFree()
>
>for modifying the data you'd need XChangeProperty() and
> XDeleteProperty().
>
>If this has a realistic chance to be merged, I would be willing to
>contribute a patch that uses dlopen() to access the X11 display.

I much prefer the solution Havoc pointed out in another email (which I
read only after having replied here):

use an external program that would do the auto-launch or read the
property. Then we'd have no dlopen trickery to open the libX11.so file.
It would be a build-time decision whether to create this executable. And
it would be up to distributors to decide whether they want to break their
dbus packages into one that doesn't require X11 and one that does.

The disadvantage is that, for each program that uses the bus, one extra
program would be run. But I guess it's an acceptable cost if we want to
get people to run D-Bus by default.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway