KDE adoption of D-Bus

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Thu Feb 16 08:15:38 PST 2006

On Thu, 16.02.06 16:41, Thiago Macieira (thiago.macieira at trolltech.com) wrote:

> >If this has a realistic chance to be merged, I would be willing to
> >contribute a patch that uses dlopen() to access the X11 display.
>
> I much prefer the solution Havoc pointed out in another email (which I
> read only after having replied here):

I don't cnsider dlopen() "dirty" in this case. However,
launching an external program on every connection seems a little dirty
to me.

> use an external program that would do the auto-launch or read the
> property. Then we'd have no dlopen trickery to open the libX11.so file.
> It would be a build-time decision whether to create this executable. And
> it would be up to distributors to decide whether they want to break their
> dbus packages into one that doesn't require X11 and one that does.

The dlopen() solution wouldn't require such a splitting. And the lib
would automatically upgraded to support X11 if libX11 is found at a
later time.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/