KDE adoption of D-Bus

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 07:56:10 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 16:41 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The disadvantage is that, for each program that uses the bus, one extra
> program would be run. But I guess it's an acceptable cost if we want to
> get people to run D-Bus by default.

If we try DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS before we launch the external
program, then in the typical case (where the bus was launched by the
session init scripts) we wouldn't have to launch it on each app startup
- we'd only launch the external program in the unusual case of someone
running on old Linux/UNIX installs. Even then, if someone cared about
the startup time they could add the daemon launch to their own .xinitrc
or .Xclients or whatever in the old install.