Introspect documentation for methods, signals, properties

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Sat Feb 18 09:13:33 PST 2006

Kevin Krammer wrote:

>On Friday 17 February 2006 04:30, Rohan McGovern wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I think it would be beneficial if DBUS had a standard way of providing
>>short documentation strings on methods, signals and properties in
>>introspect data.  This would avoid the kind of problem DCOP suffers from,
>>where a KDE application can have literally 100+ methods available, but to
>>find out what they actually _do_, a user has to either make a guess based
>>on the method's signature, or look at the source code of the program.
>>
>>It seems that this could easily be done by defining a new well-known
>>annotation, say 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Description' or similar.  Then a
>>DBUS service browser program could easily convey this information to the
>>user.  What do you guys think?
>>

>It might not be necessary to transport the description itself in the
>introspection data, but rather a kind of reference, i.e. a section in the
>application's handbook.

But that would mean that you would need to have those documents
installed on your system. I think that is not very useful if what you
want is just some descriptive comments when you use the "DBus Object
Browser" (ok, that does not exist yet, but I've seen kdbus so things
like that will become commonplace =). And I don't know if DBus will ever
be used for communication between systems but then it might happen much
more often that you won't have those docs installed.

Cheers,
 -Tako