Errors and the introspection format

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Sun Feb 19 12:45:52 PST 2006

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>There alreayd is an annotation
>

> http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#introspection-f
>ormat
>
>  org.freedesktop.DBus.Method.NoReply

Oops, of course. I apologise, I must have missed it when writing my code.

Corrected now. My point in the earlier message is, therefore, moot.

>I'm not clear on how this is supposed to be used in pratice though. As
>a service, I can annotate a method with this, and not send any return
>message, but if a client isn't looking for the annotation, it'll hang
>forever.

It'll get an org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply error when the timeout
timer expires (default currently set to 25 seconds).

A method call to a given method can only happen in one of two
circumstances: 1) the code was written to call it or 2) it was
introspected.

If it's case #1, the code knows what to expect. Nobody writes code that
calls random methods in random interfaces without introspection. (And if
you're doing that, you should be punished and get your application frozen
every now and then)

If it's case #2, again either the application knows what what to expect
and that it's not supposed to wait for a reply.

#1 would break only if there's a change in the method contract.

BTW, now that we're on the subject, what does the
org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.CSymbol annotation mean?
--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway