Errors and the introspection format

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Mon Feb 20 11:02:17 PST 2006

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>What I would say is that noreply isn't really a property of the method,
>it's a property of how you want to call it. e.g. if I have:
>
> void Frobate()
>
>then sometimes maybe I want to block and know that it was invoked
>successfully, and sometimes maybe I don't care. But I think it's the
>caller app that knows this.

I don't see how an isolated function definition could have any meaning.

What matters is the code, because not even the method name is required to
be the same. For instance, I'm transforming the D-Bus style
CamelCaseWithCapitalFirst into Qt's style camelCaseWithLowercaseFirst.

But, just for sake of consistency, I'm allowing the following declaration:

  void async Frobate()

where async is #define'd to empty. This is similar to the DCOP style:
  ASYNC Frobate()

This will make the introspection data contain the
org.freedesktop.DBus.Method.NoReply annotation. When generating code for
one such method, I'll use the "fire-and-forget" mode.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway