Errors and the introspection format

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 11:31:44 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 20:02 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> This will make the introspection data contain the
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Method.NoReply annotation. When generating code for
> one such method, I'll use the "fire-and-forget" mode.

It's certainly fine to do it this way in a particular binding - the
choice is essentially that the callee side of the binding tells the
caller what kind of method wrapper to generate.

I don't think any other binding would be obligated to pay attention to
the noreply here though, or to provide noreply in its introspection
data. The noreply annotation isn't part of the "ABI" you could say, I
guess.

My personal view remains that if I were writing a callee/server, I would
not be able to state a guideline for when to add noreply; but if I were
writing a caller/client, I would know exactly when ("use noreply when
you won't be doing anything with the reply anyway").