Errors and the introspection format

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 21 09:42:01 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 15:49 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> 1) DCOP doesn't do it, so I don't see the need
>   if it proves to be an important missing feature, it can be added later

This interacts with the reentrancy/deadlock issue we discussed earlier I
think. If a binding lets deadlocks happen (as dbus lowlevel or the glib
bindings do) then the way to fix a deadlock is to switch over to doing
things async, via threads or by splitting the call into a
send/reply-callback pair. In DCOP, this was rarely necessary and when it
was you could (except for ABI issues) just change the interface to be
DCOP-async (aka noreply) or to use a callbacks-based setup.

> 2) I would have to generate an extra function for every method in the
> class declaration.

Probably a significant increase in object code size if you do that,
yeah.