Errors and the introspection format

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at trolltech.com
Tue Feb 21 06:49:35 PST 2006

Tako Schotanus wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>>
>>> Er... an asynchronous call is not the same as not waiting for a
>>> reply. There are three ways to call a method from the perspective of
>>> the client side:
>>
>> No, in this case it is.
>>
>> I'm abusing the term "asynchronous" here. It's being used in the same
>> context as DCOP used it: fire-and-forget.
>>
>> I know you can place an asynchronous-with-reply call, but that will
>> not be allowed in the generated code for the Qt bindings. Any user who
>> wants that will have to prepare the message himself and set the slot
>> (callback) that will receive the reply.
>
>Just curious, but is there a reason this won't supported? Just too
>difficult to do right in a generic way? Or?

Let me clarify this:

I meant that you won't get auto-generated code that allows you to place a
call and get the reply in a slot. I did not mean that the user will have
to use the low-level libdbus. QDBusMessage and QDBusConnection will still
be there. I'm thinking of providing something simpler in QDBusInterface.

There are two reasons for that:
1) DCOP doesn't do it, so I don't see the need
  if it proves to be an important missing feature, it can be added later

2) I would have to generate an extra function for every method in the
class declaration.

--
Thiago José Macieira - thiago.macieira AT trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Sandakerveien 116, NO-0402 Oslo, Norway