DBUS C++ bindings?

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 18:02:42 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:34 -0600, Rohit Chaudhri wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently started to work with DBUS. I want to use it as the IPC
> mechanism on an embedded system. I want to use the DBUS C++ bindings
> for my applications. I read some emails on this mailing list from 2003
> about DBUS C++ bindings. I've downloaded DBUS 0.60 and the C++
> bindings available from the website. I haven't looked very closely at
> the code yet, but it seems that the C++ bindings are not complete yet.
> Is this true? If there is a newer version of the C++ bindings
> available, can someone point me to it?
> If not and the C++ bindings are not yet complete, I'd look further
> into this to figure out what remains to be done and will try to
> complete it. Any pointers regarding this would be appreciated.

I don't think there are any actively-developed C++ bindings other than
the Qt bindings. Of course you can also just use the C API from C++.

It's not clear to me that a "C++ binding" is interesting; the idea of a
"binding" in dbus really assumes a higher-level framework such as the
ones in Qt, GLib, Java, C#, and so forth. These frameworks usually
define memory management, interface introspection, main loop, threads,
signals/slots/delegates/listeners, and other such stuff. The
lowlevelness of libdbus mostly comes from being agnostic on those kinds
of features.

While "C++" per se leaves a lot unspecified, usually people writing a
C++ app are using the Qt stack, or libstdc++/boost stack, or NSPR/XPCOM
stack, or the Windows/COM stack, or the gtkmm stack. A binding specific
to one of those would be a lot nicer than a "plain C++" binding.