Request for the 1.0 release

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at
Fri Feb 24 09:48:41 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 18:42 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi J5,
> > I'm almost done with a 0.61 release.  After that we want to split out
> > the bindings and the Qt guys have some requirements as they have decided
> > to use it to replace DCOP in the interest of desktop interoperability.
> > These have all conspired to hold back 1.0.  When will we get a 1.0
> > release?  The answer is when it is ready.  What can you do to help out?
> > Fix bugs, write documentation, test the s*** out of it, etc.  If a lot
> > of those smaller changes happens before everything else it means there
> > will be less lead time between splitting out the bindings and getting to
> > DCOP parity and blessing 1.0.
> my plan is to make D-Bus a hard requirement for the Bluetooth daemon. At
> the moment it is optional and unless the API is marked as stable I don't
> really tend to change this. Moving over to D-Bus as a hard requirement
> would make it possible for me to drop a lot of ugly code that deals with
> non D-Bus compilations. We are using only the low-level API and so I
> don't really care about the bindings, but I fully understand that they
> correlate somehow. I actually need an honest estimation how far the
> low-level API is away from being stable.

The DCOP parity issue is about the only thing I can think of that would
change API/ABI at this point.  There needs to be an assessment by the Qt
guys of what we need to put in the TODO.  Other things like moving
gnome-VFS to D-Bus are blocking on this also.

John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at>

More information about the dbus mailing list