Hal spec and PropertyModifed

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Fri Jan 6 16:34:41 PST 2006

On Fri, 7 Jan 2006, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:32:53AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 14:38 +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
>
> As it stands there is nothing in the DBus specification which forbids
> use of variadic arguments for method calls / signals. After all the

I think it is sensible with the presence of v, av and v containing an av
not to allow varargs---they make writing bindings a lot more difficult.

> On a similar theme most bindings supporting introspection assume there
> is only a single entry defined per (name, interface) tuple, although

When I asked about this they said method overloading wasn't supported.
This is less difficult to support than varargs I would say, but still
sensible to disallow.

As I have said several times on IRC, just because it is technically
possible with the implementation of the DBus model doesn't mean that it
fits the model and should hence be allowed. DBus is modelling functions
with a defined interface being called, and varargs seems to go against
that model.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson