How to discover introspection toplevel objects

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Jan 24 15:06:48 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 23:40 +0100, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> I think you should too ;-)
>
> Not sure if it is actually like that now, it has been a while since I
> tried but back then none of the freedesktop objects themselves
> implemented introspection.
>
> What I wondered is: can we expect that for 1.0 all freedesktop objects
> implement introspection. And in the way that you can get at all the
> child objects too?

No, you can not expect it.  This is because there is no way to
autogenerate introspection when using low level dbus calls.

> Because my soapbox-issue has always been to be able to do what you can
> do with dcop: just browse around to see what services exist and try them
> out.

It would be our goal for everyone to eventually use bindings so they get
Introspection for free.  If they don't implement it then yelling at the
maintainers very loud might help :-)  The reason that dcop can do this
is because they don't have to support straight C/C++ (or at least most
people using dcop would do so via Qt).