1.0 release [was: Re: One user morne than one time logged in.]

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jan 25 02:52:39 PST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 04:45:24PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:11 +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
> > I'd be happy to call the library and daemon 1.0, but I still keep
> > finding serious holes in the bindings I'm using (glib and python) which
> > could very realistically be made hard/impossible to fix by commiting to
> > an ABI. As a random idea, could we move all of the bindings into
> > seperate trees and version them seperately, or do we need to lay down
> > some commitment about what's required for a supported binding for 1.0
> > and get them up to scratch before releasing?
>
> I agree that the bindings aren't ready to freeze. Whether to put them in
> a separate tree, or just mark them specially as "not yet frozen," I
> don't know.

Once the core C library is at 1.0 & its API frozen, then there is much
more flexibility for development for the language bindings, because by
de-coupling releases post-1.0, people won't be forced to upgrade everything
just to get a new python fix. In a worst case scenario, if we needed to
make a really significant API breaking change to the python bindings,
then one also has the option of renaming the python module, to allow
multiple versions of the API to be installed in parallel, without forcing
the entire dbus stack to be upgraded.

I guess my point is, that provided we get the core C library API right
for 1.0, then IMHO we shouldn't worry too much about making the language
bindings perfect - just make sure the level of functionality they currently
have is reliable & any gaps in their feature coverage clearly documented.

Regards,
Dan.